Monday, November 16, 2015

Thing 2: Mobile Device Tips & Tricks

I finally got around to working on Thing 2! I have an Android smartphone and, while I don't use it to its fullest potential, I typically feel pretty comfortable using it.

One of the biggest things I learned from the Lyda.com tutorial is the word "salmagundi." The instructor used this term, and I was a little embarrassed I didn't know it. The first definition of it is "A salad of chopped meat, anchovies, eggs, and onions, often arranged in rows on lettuce and served with vinegar and oil." Based on contextual clues, I felt I could safely assume the instructor meant the latter definition, "A mixture or assortment."

One of the other things I learned was the power of the voice activation abilities of the phone. I've used the voice commands to search Google plenty of times (typically when I need to look up a clue to help fill in my daily crossword puzzle!), but I didn't know I could also control the phone itself. By saying, "Ok Google, take a picture," I could pull up my phone's camera; by saying, "Ok Google, play music," I could get my phone to automatically play music. One important tip to share with the rest of my library folks: Don't tell your phone to play music while you're in a library, especially when the door to your office is open. And if you do happen to do that, make sure you have fast enough reflexes to pause the music before everyone starts questioning your "slight" obsession with K-pop. 

One other thing I did with this Lynda tutorial is go through the camera's edit features. I had some fun playing around with the different tones and effects I could give this photo. I was most amused by the hue effect. While sliding my finger along the scale, I noticed that the only things that drastically changed within this effect were the tint of my eyes and Gail's computer screen. The terror!

Super intense





























No comments:

Post a Comment