Friday, December 11, 2015

Thing 7: Saving & Sharing Docs

I decided to try out Dropbox for Thing 7. I just recently used Dropbox for the first time about a month ago when my sister and I wanted to share our pictures of our trip to Thailand with each other. It was a much more preferable method to emailing all the pictures! Although we both shared pictures through Dropbox, I hadn't really explored the product. And even though the app came installed on my phone when I got it, I hadn't previously used the mobile version.

The app is easy enough to figure out and divides uploads into general categories of files and pictures. And there's also a feature that allows a user to store some files that are accessible offline.

Because I already had pictures from my trip to Thailand saved in my Dropbox account, I decided to share one of the photos with Ellen. I was surprised at how many different methods of sharing there were, like texting, email, Facebook, Wunderlist, Flipboard, Feedly, Skype, and others. I could also share it with my Blogger app, which I thought would be a great and easy way to get the photo on this post! However, it only sent me this link to the photo, not the photo itself:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/kbmxa081g3js8d7/AAB_hIclSmcgZCZkoe6C0ceUa

So I opened the link from the draft of a post, which took me to the photo located on Dropbox, which I then downloaded to my computer and then uploaded to Blogger. Maybe there's a better way to get a photo from Dropbox to Blogger without having to deal with a link, but this is how I figured out how to do it.

Paradise with a guaranteed sunburn
I shared this photo with Ellen, via both texting and email. I wanted to see if one of the ways would work better. Both methods of sharing delivered the photo to Ellen quite promptly. She was able to click on the link and see the photo without having to be logged in to Dropbox.

Overall, Dropbox is a helpful tool to have if you need to access files and photos from multiple locations or want to share items with others, but I wish, by sharing the photo with my Blogger app, that it would upload the photo to my photo album on the blog rather than beginning a post with just a URL.

How I feel completing Thing 7


1 comment:

  1. I agree about the link versus the actual picture! I had the same problem.

    ReplyDelete